Friday, July 2, 2010

My mother always says...

I should tell a story by starting at the end. Because I tend to confuse my listeners and in this case my readers with all the details without setting the scene. First I would like to tell you that all persons in my household are in their right mind. This has not always been the case. And as recently as a month ago, we had an "event". While it was significant, our response was quick and it settled down very quickly, and I am happy to report that it only lasted 10 days from start to finish. After all my experiences dealing with my husband's illness, this can be categorized as nothing more than a hiccup. My story is full of what I call "gory details" but that is not what I want the focus to be. I want the bigger picture to emerge. This is what I will attempt to do here. Bring forth the big picture. Because while it is an intensely personal story, it can be applied more broadly to public policy and societal issues. The desire of my heart is to bring hope to the hurting, to share with you my personal struggle dealing with a mentally ill person, much less one that is my spouse. There is hope for families in crisis, there is a way to have a successful marital relationship along with the blessings of the children that we have been given. My children are happy and well adjusted, for which to God I give all the glory. Without my faith, without the faith of others (police, social workers, hospital staff, doctors) I would not be here today talking about my life as it is today. Without the numerous miracles along the way, I would not have a husband in his right mind. May God bless you and keep you along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment